Monday, April 28, 2008

Cooking and such

My fajitas yesterday turned out well. I steamed chicken breast, seasoned with chili powder. Then I cut them into bite size pieces, sautteed with green peppers and onions. I added ground cumin and juice of half a lime. We put that in a flour tortilla with some salsa. I liked them. It would have been better if I had some black beans, avacado and sour cream, though. Ah well.



I tried to bake some Mahi Mahi filets last night, but as soon as they started to cook I knew I had to throw it out. It smelled way too fishy. I need to buy some more salmon. Brad and I are trying to eat more fish through the week and so far I know we like salmon and red snapper. Red snapper is more expensive, but is so worth it! I can tolerate tilapia, but I heard they were bottom dwellers. I'll need to look into that.



I found a great recipe for brown rice by Alton Brown. I'm never making my rice a different way again! It turned out perfect:

Baked Brown Rice

1 1/4 cup brown rice (med or long grain)

2 1/2 cups water

1 tbs butter

1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a pan, boil water, butter and salt. Pour hot mixture over rice in a glass baking dish. Mix and cover with tin foil. Bake for an hour. Fluff with a fork, and serve. You can also add garlic instead of salt and herbs bake nicely in this too.



Brad bought me a bamboo steamer for Valentine's Day. The other week I put some salmon filets marinated in a citrus vinaigrette on the lower rack, and squash, carrot and onion on the top rack. Man, it turned out fantastic! Oh wait, I had green beans in there too.



I'm glad it's warm again because I've been craving some good berries. Strawberries are my favorite, then blackberries and raspberries. I love blueberries in things, but not by themselves. It's so much better shopping for food now that it's warm; especially at mom n pop stands.



I'm going to Anna and Anthony's new house tonight for dinner. She's making a dish that is something like a chicken and tomato stew served over rice. She's using the baked brown rice recipe that I posted. They brought home two kittens from the shelter today; I can't wait to play with them! I'm bringing dessert...Breyer's Natural Peach Ice Cream.



No comments: