Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fresh Prince says It's Summuh Summuh Time!!!


The bunny and I are very excited that it's summer time. If you don't understand its caption, bunny is saying, "I has a lettuce". Since its mouth is full, bunny can't speak clearly. It's adorable, isn't it?
I love summer weather, summer vacations, summer fashions and most of all summer produce.
It's the time of year to browse the local farmer's markets for local fruits and vegetables. My favorites right now are crispy salads with loads of goodies.
Please don't make a salad with just one type of lettuce, but mix up the colors. The darker the color, the richer the vitamins. I love to mix green leaf lettuce, red lettuce and baby greens. It's also tasty to add a few raisins, slivered almonds, cucumber, black olive and grape tomatoes. I've recently discovered a delicious vinagrette recipe. It's orange balsamic, it includes: orange zest, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, dried basil, salt and pepper. It is delicious! It's a little strong, so it doesn't take much, which is good.
I went fishing with Brooke, Dad and the kids the other weekend. Tommy, Mikayla and Mr. Curtis (the owner of the pond) caught bass and brim. Dad cooked them for us and man, was it good. My favorite way to eat any type of fish is to marinate it with a citrus of any type (lemon, lime or orange) fresh herbs and some montreal seasoning. They need to be grilled. It's the best.
My favorite fish right now are Red Snapper and Salmon. However I do like many others. I'm currently discovering that I do, in fact, like fish and am trying different types. For the longest time I had convinced myself that I don't like it. I am still picky with it, but I try to consume fish at least 2 times a week. In the summer it's so much more fun because Brad and I like to grill at this time of year the most.
As far as vegetables go, I'll eat just about any of them. I love to stick them on skewers for the grill, steam them or sautee. I made a great concoction the other night: cabbage, squash, zucchini and onion. I chopped those up, put them in my wok with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika; so tasty!
Now when someone talks about their favorite summer foods, I immediately think of fruit. I also like just about any type of fruit.
Bananas, apple and strawberries are always on stock at the Hill house. However I also like to buy mango, peaches and pineapples. Strangely enough, I LOVE the taste of an orange, but I find them too messy to eat. I mainly use them in recipes instead of simply sitting down with a knife and an orange.
It's good that summer produce is so good, therefore I find myself wanting more fresh vegetables, lean meats and fruit and wanting less of oats, pastas and breads. Conveniently, most people want to be leaner in the hotter time of the year.


No comments: