Brad said it's more like a different play call, than a curve ball.
Two days ago, one hour before time to knock off for the weekend, I was called into the office of the VP of Business Affairs, who is my boss. He regrettably told me that my job was one of several that had been eliminated. UM doesn't have the student body to support the current functions of the school and restructuring was one answer to the problem.
I had no clue it was coming. I knew cuts were being made, but my job is kinda important, and I didn't make much anyway, so surely it wouldn't be mine. The thought never even occurred to me. So, needless to say I lost it. Not in the office, I asked to be excused, walked outside, called my husband and cried. He told me to just come on home. I did.
I went back Saturday morning, made a copy of my resume, cleaned out my desk and took a look around. I'm really going to miss it. I'm more heartbroken than anything because I loved being there so much. Sure, the job wasn't all that challenging. But I loved being there. I loved my coworkers, I loved the atmosphere there. All good things (except for Christ's love) come to an end.
So I'm just going to have to start over. I've already sent my resume to one source, I am interviewing tomorrow. I'm currently inquiring on three other jobs as well. I have learned mounds in the past three days that I will share later tonight. There's just too much in my head right now. So please come back for the next post. In short, I will say this:
My husband is wonderful.
My friends are such an encouragement.
My family is supportive.
My God is so good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Paige, we should start a club for people this has happened to. I will be president and you can be VP, which means we can never travel together.
I'm really sorry to hear about this, and I know how much it sucks. Don't worry--God's got you where he wants you. A friend of mine once told me that when things suck the worst is when God's holding us the closest, like in his armpit. It's all stinky and dank and bleak, but it's as close to him as you can get.
See you on Tuesday (and I'll be praying for you)!
:)
PS. I don't know if you've done this yet, but you can file for unemployment online if you go to dir.alabama.gov. You can file a claim and do your weekly benefits all online. Also you can have your unemployment money direct deposited.
Paige - I am so sorry to hear this news. I'll keep an eye out for any job openings. Also, check out a website called MAYPA (Mobile Area Young Professionals) - there are a lot of job listings there.
Post a Comment