Time is a factual element of life. It is measured in seconds, minutes, and up. Those don't change. It has always taken 60 seconds to equal one minute. But doesn't it seem to feel different to us? Time doesn't seem evenly spread; it moves. It speeds up, it slows down, it stops. When waiting for an important phone call or email, or even just to get off work, it can creep by. When taking a lunch hour, or enjoying coffee with a friend, it speeds by. Strange.
Last night Brad and I visited friends of ours who just welcomed their first child into the world. They had a perfectly sweet baby boy. I held him a lot. Brad was wonderful with him too, even though he had never held a newborn. He's such a natural. But I have known the mother since the 7th grade. I met her husband my first day of college. I remember life with the two of them before they had even met each other. Now, they've been married over 5 years and have a baby. Time has flown by on this one.
I was speaking with my friend about how she needs to savor every single moment with her newborn because it will be gone before she realizes it. Next thing we all know, he'll be out of diapers and getting his driver's permit.
I remember the night I found out my sister was having her first baby. I can recall the look on Brooke's face when she told me, I can remember my emotion, I can tell you all that I was dreaming about that night, too. It honestly seems like it happened just a few weeks ago. But Hannah just turned 9 years old... It's so sad. I have well incorporated myself in the lives of Brooke's kids, but I still feel as if I've missed out on so much because they are growing up so fast. I was telling our friends last night how Baby, the family maltese, would come running out of mom's bedroom when Mikayla would start crying. We brought Mikayla home when she was 11 months old. When she woke up from nap time, Baby wanted mom to get in there quick and shut her up! Now KK is turning 9 later this year. She talks like she's 19 though. Again, time is gone, it seems.
Brad's 10 year reunion is this year. He isn't able to attend because Seraph is on the road at the time. He's pretty disappointed because he wanted to see his old friends, of course.
As of this month, he and I have been graduated from college for 5 years. We are also celebrating 8 years together in just a few weeks. I think it's weird how I remember so vividly, the night we met and what I was thinking, almost like it did happen not too long ago, but I have a hard time remembering what life was like before him.
The measures of time do not change, but life itself seems to alter it for each individual.
I don't have an exact point with this entry, just wanted to state what was on my mind today. I hope you are all having a great week and that you are making the most of your time.
ha ha! Do any of you remember that old DC Talk song "Time is Tickin Away"? Wow, that one came out of left field...

1 comment:
I almost wrote a blog about a similar topic the other day, but I ran out of time! HA! It's hard for me to believe that we've been out of high school for 9 years and out of college for 5. It's hard for me to comprehend that this year is almost halfway over! Wow we are really starting to sound old! lol
Post a Comment